Monday, May 3, 2010

Response # 8 for Dr. Pytash-- Reflection of the Semester

Before this semester and for a period in the middle of this semester, I was concerned whether I was in the right field. I am devoted to student development and learning, but I guess I was beginning to get "cold feet". It's almost scary to think of how quickly the past few years have passed and to imagine that I will be student teaching soon.

Although I have been skeptical about my future, I feel that this course has alleviated my anxieties about my future as an educator. Through this course, I learned effective lesson-planning techniques, and I practiced implementing lessons and leading discussions. In addition, I was presented several theories and literary strategies, and I was given the opportunity to decide the type of educator I would like to be. Therefore, this course, the assignments and lessons, and Dr. Pytash's guidance have helped me re-establish my desire to teach, and it greatly prepared me to do so.

One of the most important aspects of my growth as a professional has been the encouragement Dr. Pytash has provided. One day, when I was walking to my office hours in the Tri-Towers Rotunda, I ran into her as she was getting her computer fixed. Upon exchanging hellos, she stood and talked with me for about a half-hour. It meant a lot to me that she would take the time out of her busy Monday schedule to talk to me about my weekend, the week ahead, my professional plans, and and my goal to work toward a master's degree directly after completing my undergraduate coursework. This could not have come at a better time, as I had endured a stressful weekend and was not quite ready to start the week. However, after our conversation, I was motivated to keep plugging along with my homework and job-related requirements. Later on in the semester, when Dr. Pytash read in my exit slip that I was discouraged about an aspect of my performance in my preparation to become an educator, she made sure to speak with me about it and to ensure that I was doing fine. Yet again, this was also very motivating for me, and it helped me maintain a positive attitude. Thanks to her reassurance and interest in my personal endeavors, I have maintained a positive, motivated attitude, and I have been able to take advantage of every learning experience I have been presented throughout this semester. For that, I am endlessly grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dave,
    I know what your saying, Dr. Pytash and Dr. Kist have been very encouraging and helpful throughout the year. I should thank them for that as well. And I just wanted to thank you for your very kind comment you left on my page. Your students will be very privileged to have a teacher as kind and with as much heart as you have. Your a good man, Dave, and I have no doubts that you will go on to do great things in the lives of many students.

    -Sam

    ReplyDelete