Monday, May 3, 2010

Response # 7 for Dr. Pytash-- Classics in the Classroom Chapter 7

In chapter 7 of Classics in the Classroom, Jago explains that she does not implement group assignments at all, as she feels that no matter how she constructs the assignment, some students still "slack off" (158). Before this semester, I may have agreed with Jago. However, I feel that educators need to have more faith in their students' desire to learn.

In the case of assigning group work, students could be easily occupied by giving each student a specific role in a project. For example, if I were to assign groups to become experts of a specific chapter or scene of a text, I would give on person the role of the quote master, which would require him/her to pick out important passages of the text. Then, I would assign another group member the role of the connector, which will require him/her to connect the text with current society. I would also assign a group member to find the themes of the text. And finally, for another role I would assign would be the role of the character master, which would require a group member to record the descriptions, motives, and conflicts of the characters of a text. By micro-managing the roles of students for group work assignments, I would effectively engage them in the activity without worrying about everyone pulling their weight. Therefore, I feel that Jago's bias against group work is invalid, for if students are given structure and expectations, they would be more inclined to contribute to group work and would also be given the opportunity to form deeper understandings of a text.

2 comments:

  1. From personal experience I would have sided with Jago. Throughout high school if there was ever group work to be had, I was generally the one doing most of the work or at least taking the most challenging role. However, from a teacher's stance I completely agree with you that group projects can be directed so that all students are either required to participate equally. Not only is working as a team a part of any job, but also students need to learn the skill of learning from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David I agree with your comments - I think group work needs to be structured - when everyone has a role and the group has specific expectations - groups are productive.

    ReplyDelete