Sunday, February 28, 2010

Multi-genre Literacy Autobiography

Initially, while I was brainstorming my multi-genre literacy autobiography, I was unsure of how to piece together the texts that have influenced me over a span of 20 years. There was just so much to cover because upon starting this project, I realized that texts are everywhere. Reflecting upon all of the books, comics, movies, video games and television shows into which I have submerged myself, I was perplexed about how I could choose and compile the meaningful ones in a way that could be aesthetically pleasing and still make sense. Then, it hit me; I'd make a comic book!

In all of the texts that have played important roles in my life, their most influential components were the images involved, whether they were material images or words that helped me paint my own images. What I have always loved about books is the way a writer can give the gift of a image to a reader without actually painting it. Additionally, what always fascinated me about illustrations was the magnitude of emotions and meanings that could be associated with an image and how two people could interpret the same image in completely different ways. Therefore, as I have always learned through images and my own illustrations of texts, I felt it was most appropriate that I illustrate the collection of the texts which influenced my life in a way that would help my peers visualize my memories the way I do.

This was one of the most enjoyable projects I have ever been assigned. I loved looking back on my life in a unique way and piecing together the explanation of who I am today and the teacher I will be from the earliest influences of my life. Although I was absent on the first day of presentations on the account of illness, I look forward to presenting my comic book of memories this week. Additionally, I am looking forward to seeing the other remaining presentations to establish a connection with my peers who have been influenced by similar texts and to learning from those who have different backgrounds than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment