Monday, November 15, 2010

Stephen Koch's The Modern Library Writer's Workshop: A Guide to the Craft of Fiction

In Stephen Koch's The Modern Library Writer's Workshop: A Guide to the Craft of Fiction, one of the most fascinating statements that appealed to me said: "Style is a created, man-made thing, and yet it finally emerges as naturally as breathing. Or put in another way: To work, any style must seem "natural"- "natural" to you- and yet its "natural" voice or voices can be achieved only through effort and polish (114). This spoke to me as a student because I remember when I first wanted to write from a certain voice. When I wrote articles for my high school newspaper, I wanted to write like my favorite writer, Rick Reilly. However, as I was just beginning to write, I found myself frustrated about my skills as a stylistic writer. Although I could have been easily been discouraged, I practiced, and with practice, I became a better writer.

As an educator, I feel that this is one of the most important lessons that student-writers can learn. Although we often learn a great deal about writing voice and style is through mimicking other writers' stylistic tendencies, when it comes to writing, practice is the most effective approach toward developing as the writer you want to become. This can definitely be taught and supported through the writing workshops because it teaches students the importance of revisions. If writers continue to adapt their stories in order to improve upon targeted areas of weakness, they will eventually reach a product for which they can feel proud. Thus, I feel that style is developed within the writer instead of through the sole inspiration of others, and through diligent practice, one's style can be improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment