Sunday, September 26, 2010

Changing Our Minds: Negotiating English and Literacy

Something that stood out to me in this article was that students often use their signatures as a way of defining themselves. Additionally, the author describes a connection in the minds of students between handwriting and literacy. Unfortunately, I feel that this is not only a misconception of students. Many educators often define a student's intelligence by the legibility of his or her writing. An example of this lies within the packet of essays that we ranked in class a few weeks ago. Many of the lowest-scoring essays were also the least legible. Although in some cases this may seem like a coincidence, I fear that educators often attribute intelligence to legible handwriting.

I currently found myself making this same mistake. I was grading a multiple choice assignment the other day when I came across a very messy paper. The handwriting was very poor, and I struggled to decipher some letters. When I finished grading the assignment, I had expected there to several mistakes. However, the score on the sheet of paper was one of the best in that particular class. I found myself confused why I had expected the score to be low until I realized that I had simply expected the score to be low because the student had poor handwriting skills. Thus, I feel that we all need to overcome the idea that poor handwriting is the equivalent to poor intelligence.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that we sometimes use handwriting to help us judge how well something is completed. If something is written sloppy than we expect it to have mistakes in it. As teachers we do have to be better at not judging something before we actually give it a chance. However, more than that we have to try and teach are students better handwriting, whether through one on one conferences or any other way. We need to do this because even if we try to look past handwriting, their next teacher or boss might not be as understanding. By working with students to make them focus on improving their handwriting we can allow them to be a successful writer throughout their lives without people second guessing their work.

    ReplyDelete