Sunday, April 4, 2010

Reflection on the Costanzo Text

Upon reading Costanzo's Great Films and How to Teach Them, my life as a film viewer has changed. When I used to watch films, I would pay specific attention to nothing but the events unfolding and some of the underlying meanings of the messages presented by films. However, now that I have read about and understand the tools of lighting, camera works, and sound, I have found myself dissecting the films I have viewed. Although this approach could fade, I feel that by viewing films this way deepens my appreciation of what I'm watching.

When I was completing my Film Review exercise from the Costanzo textbook, I watched The Godfather with my father. As I have never seen this film, I was also viewing it for a source of entertainment. One thing I normally do while watching a film is make comments about what is unfolding in the film, normally in the form of a response. I do not do this very frequently when viewing a film, but rather, I will audibly respond to something that intrigues me. This is normally along the lines of "Wow... I can't believe that happened!" or "That's hilarious!" However, when I was watching The Godfather, I mentioned to my father that I really admired the unique camera angles in the film. Perplexed by my statement, my father simply agreed and returned to his viewing. Little did he know, that moment was pivotal in my development as a critical film viewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment